CCTV news
CCTV Technology News & Society
Go Back   CCTV Forums > General Security > Home Security

Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beware of the Dog

A friend of mine who lives alone in a pretty rough neighbourhood keeps a sign on her property that says, "Beware of the dog." A few months ago, she tape recorded the sound of a pit bull barking, and now, when a stranger knocks at the door, she turns on the tape recorder before she goes to find out who it is. She doesn't know whether or not it's actually scared any burglars away, but it does a terrific job of getting rid of salespeople.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Beware of the Dog

That is a great idea. Like you said not only to deter burglers but anything that would stop the salesman is an added benefit if you ask me.
tater03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've known of people who lived in apartments to do this, and it does seem to work. Most burglars don't want to tangle with any dog. What's really funny is that most who live in apartments work hard to make sure their dogs don't bark too much!
vicki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ive finally got my Greyhound to start barking when someone comes to the door. Thats a whole task in itself incase you never owned one.
ss1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have never had a dog that didn't bark. Do Greyhounds not bark? My husband would love one of these dogs then because he hates all the barking our dog does.
tater03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

The one breed I know of that doesn't bark is the Japanese besinji (spelling) ...they are popular in Manhattan because they don't bother neighbors. Very loyal little dogs though.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here's another good guard dog story. A friend of mine owns a Great Dane. He wanted to put a doggy door in his front door so the Dane could get in and out while he's at work. His wife protested, saying the hole in the door would be big enough for a person to crawl through. My friend gave her a blank look and said, "If you saw a hole in a door that big would YOU crawl through it and risk meeting a dog that size on the other side?" Good point.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

That would be a big doggy door! I don't like doggy doors or even cat doors. One house I had came with a cat window contraption, and one day I walked into the kitchen to see a guy trying to unlock the kitchen window by putting his arm through it.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

God, vicki2, how awful! You must have been scared to death. I'd have been tempted to stick a fork into his hand!